Parent Teacher Conferences: 3 Resources for Success
- I pick three different dates for scheduling conferences: the early release day before conferences, one evening, and the day we are released for meeting with parents. Two weeks before conferences I send a letter home so families can select a meeting date and time from a list of choices (Conference Sign Up Sheet 20 minutes, Conference Sign Up Sheet 30 minutes). Sometimes I send it home multiple times, calling if necessary, to ensure that each family signs up for a time slot.
- A week before our conference I send home a confirmation letter (Recordatorio de conferencias).
- Finally, before we meet, I have the students organize their work, I review it, and I write down some notes (Parent-Teacher Conference notes). Unlike traditional report card comments, these notes reflect informal observations and anecdotes. I photocopy them and give them to parents during our time together.
Despite the initial anxiety, I feel about having everything ready for parents, I have always loved meeting personally with families and hearing them talk about their children. I hope that these resources simplify your conference preparation so that you can enjoy your time with your students’ families.
- Conference Sign Up Sheet 20 minutes
- Conference Sign Up Sheet 30 minutes
- Recordatorio de conferencias
- Parent-Teacher Conference notes