Do you ship to all of the United States?
Yes we do. However, the minimum order required is $250. Therefore, if your cart does not meet the minimum order requirement you will get the error message that we do not ship to that state. We do not know how to fix that error message. We do know how to instruct in a dual language classroom though :)
Can I order with Donor's Choose?
We are not approved vendors with the organization, but many have ordered through a special project. See this post for more information.
Do you have Guided Reading Books?
No, we do not have guided reading sets. After working with our Latin American publishers for years we have determined that the United States leveling system is too far away from correlating with our Spanish literature. We encourage schools and teachers to focus on:
- Book Clubs to promote conversation and reading comprehension in small groups and organized around themes. We created these clubs to support the themes in our Comprehensive Read Aloud collections.
- Oracy through oral language groups - see our blog post Oral Language Development for Kindergarteners for more specific suggestions.
- Read A
louds- that support classroom learning and are rich in illustrations and vocabulary. We are partial to our books and have a Kindergarten Collection. You are also welcome to browse our books and we encourage you to use the filters to find what best fits you.
- Explicit instruction in decoding; HOWEVER, if you find yourself spending hours on this it is TOO MUCH. There are different programs available: Estrellita, Fonética y Gramática by Benchmark, and La Cartilla by Santillana.
- Song and Music - Our favorite is 1,2,3 Andres, but are also fans of Jose Luis Orozco, and Alina Celeste.
Are your books leveled?
Yes, they are leveled by grade level based on the content, length, and abstract concepts.
They are not leveled by a U.S. leveling system like DRA, Fountas and Pinnell, Lexile, or others. We follow the balanced literacy guidelines that books in all spaces OTHER THAN guided reading are not to be leveled by the U.S. leveling systems.
Do you pre-process books for libraries?
No we do not. We do; however, work with Follett.com. They have some of our titles available and are able to pre-process books for libraries. The following is a list of titles available. If you have any additional questions please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.
How can I publish a book?
Books del Sur has published books in the past. However, we work with so many great publishers we have decided to focus on curating and supporting our publishing partners. If you are interested in publishing, we suggest that you:
- Research and find a publisher that has books you like and are similar to the one you've written or published. Inquire with them about the possibility of publishing.
- Consider self-publishing. Ingram Spark is an incredible resource for how to publish, publishing a book itself, and selling the book.